Tuesday, April 10, 2012

29th Birthday in Asia

 Everyone hates turning another year older but I was excited to celebrate on a whole new continent! I was thinking Josh couldn't out do himself like he did for Valentine's Day but he did.  He came home early and shewed me out of the house to a local massage business for my first 1hr Thai massage.  If you have never had one, here are a few things you should know. It's a combination of massage, ciropracting, and sports massage. It's not bad, it's just different and relaxing in a new way.  They take you to a room like the one on the left and have you slip into loose fitting clothes.  You start laying on your back while the massager stretches your legs, toes, ankles, thighs, hips ....every part of your body except your teeth. The typical massage just uses the fingers to massage out your tension; the Thai's use their fingers, toes, forearms, elbows, etc. When they turn you onto your belly, they stand on your back and legs.  Very interesting but thoroughly relaxing. Very happy woman.  That wasn't the end of my birthday gifts though.

  That Saturday, Josh treated me to blocks of flower vendors at the local Warorot Market (very popular and goes on for blocks with flowers, fabric, food, clothes, etc.) The kids and I picked out a bunch of purple orchids, some kind of bulb flower and white long stem roses.  Josh added the three vases you see in the following pictures.  We only spend $14usd for all of it! I think I might update my vases every 2 weeks with different flowers :-)                                          

 Josh also surprised me with this wonderful chocolate and strawberry filled cake. The kids were excited to light the candles and eat pieces of the cake.  Kyle actually couldn't wait for his piece that he started to sneak little bits of the chocolate from the bottom.  We didn't notice until there was a noticeable gap. lol

Did I mention that the day that we went to the flower market we met a couple high school girls on the songtaew that go to Cameron's private school.  Josh asked straight out if they wanted to earn babysitting money and they brightened up with willing smiles.  Carrie started the night of my birthday.  Her family is from New Zealand but she has lived here for 11 out of her 16years. She was great with the kids! With the babysitting taken care of, Josh took me out to the Night Bazaar (tourist market).  On our way there, we found a local art show going on with 3D sidewalk chalk pictures.  Don't you love the one below?

 Our night out on the town.  It was great and much needed!  We walked around until we got hungry.  Josh was able to use the Thai he has been studying and ordered a couple dishes.  Yummy! It was nice to eat some local food without wiping up messes, cutting up food, or do the typical roles of motherhood.
The birthday celebration was great and I'm glad my family loves me so much to remember it.  A couple days later I received 3 care packages from my mom and Jill Piece, a dear friend from Florida.  I understand the shear joy that soldiers receive when they open up care packages.  Wonderful! Thank you everyone for a fantastic birthday.  Josh has notified me that next year I will be turning 30 in Ireland!  The adventures yet to come.

0 comments: