When I first decided to take up a new hobby after moving, I thought it would be easy and I could find everything I needed in this agriculture country. I have come to find out that this is not true. I purchased all of the canning materials via amazon and waited patiently for it to arrive while browsing recipes to start with. Josh was interested in some strawberry jam. I was all for it and went to the market with kids in hand happy to start. I was disappointed to find no strawberries. I knew that they were in season in the US so I figured that they were here. I was wrong! On to Plan B, a tropical jam. But first type something with one fruit.
 |
| Emma has become my helper in the kitchen. She helped me with the banana muffins earlier (in the back of the picture) |
 |
| She is learning how to cut a mango ...with no knife |
Thailand has an abundance of mangos. I figured I could whip up something great with this fruit ....Mango Lemonade Concentrate! Here's how I started. The link to the recipe is located at the end of the blog. I enlisted my 3-yr old helper to assist. She was very happy to be involved and loved all the pictures I was taking.
 |
| My water bath for the jars on the left. The jam boiling on the right. |
First, you need mangos (fresh!). About 6 large mangos. You dice them as small as possible (don't worry, you will puree them after cooking to smooth it out). You add to a large pot and add sugar. Boil and then add lemon juice. After it boils for about 15min, pour the hot liquid into your blender and puree until smooth.

While the lemonade is boiling, sterilize your jars and lids by placing them in hot water. Pull them out right before filling with the liquid. Because the filling is hot, you need to keep your jars hot so they don't crack. To do this, place a dish towel on the counter and place the jars onto. Clean the jar lips after filling and add the seal top. Tighten by hand only, not too tight.
 |
| The perfect amount. Leave a little room at top. |
When the water bath is about to boil, add the jars gently. Cover and boil for about 15min (check your altitude and recipe for times. Different size jars have different times). This is to kill any bacteria and seal the tops. Pull out and set on the dish cloth to cool. After it has cooled, tighten lids with the canning tool. Enjoy! We are on our 2nd jar. You can pull this out when company comes for game night or dinner. Just add Sprite and cold water and ice.
http://www.sbcanning.com/2012/04/strawberries-and-summer-strawberry.html
0 comments:
Post a Comment